We had a great August meeting – thanks so much to everyone who came and who
contributed to our yummy dinner! Jack Jacobs spoke to us about what is going on with the Alabama Democratic Party as well as upcoming events of interest. They are:
- Tent at Tinglewood September 7 – MPA is partnering with Shelby Dems and Shelby Co NAACP to run a voter registration tent. If you are able to volunteer at the tent, please email Carol Moore (email@example.com).
- Doug Jones Kickoff event, September 8 at 2:30PM at B&A Warehouse
- Mayor Cost to speak at the Shelby Dems monthly meeting, September 19 at the Pelham Services Building
- Blues and BBQ Fundraiser, September 22 from 1-6, 7078 N. Highland Dr. Tickets are $60 and Southern Mojo will be playing.
Mark your calendars for our next meeting Thursday September 26 at 6PM to hear from the Citizen’s Climate Lobby. If you plan to attend and can bring food, please use this link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0A45ADAF2AAAF49-september.
Hope to see you soon!
We had a very informative meeting in March with Madison Hollon, co-president of URGE and student organizer for Feminist Majority Foundation.
If you are interested in finding out more information to get involved, you can email Madison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our postcard action for those interested in contacting our representatives about Medicaid expansion.
Click here to download the inforamtion sheet: MPA 2019 March Postcard Action
Other items of interest:
A University of Montevallo Safe Zone Emergency Fund has just been started to assist LGBTQIA students at UM in times of financial hardship. Here’s how it works:
- Anyone interested in donating fills out the UM Foundation’s CASHNet donation form. On this form Restrict funds to “Safe Zone Emergency Fund.”
Here’s the form: https://commerce.cashnet.com/cashnetg/selfserve/EditItem.aspx?PC=ADV-DONATION
(also accessible from UM’s “Give” page if you land there and click “Learn More/Other Ways to Give” and “Give Today” and choose “Recurring Donation” or “Donate Now”).
Shelby County Democrats are promoting a mobile voter id event in May. The Secretary of State’s office is scheduling the Photo Voter ID mobile unit at the Montevallo Public Library on May 15, 2019, from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm located at 277 Park Drive, Montevallo, AL 35115. This event will be posted as a public event at alabamavoterid.com. In addition, citizens can register to vote/update information on the Secretary of State’s website at alabamavotes.gov.
Please plan to join us April 25 at 6PM for our next meeting. Montevallo’s E Club will be speaking about Earth Week, sustainability and ways we can get involved in our community. If you are able to bring food items, please email Cheryl Patton at email@example.com.